When death occurs, the following steps should be taken immediately:
- A priest should be contacted and necessary arrangements should be made for the collection of the body and preparing for the cremation.
- The body of the deceased is then taken for washing and dressing: this should preferably assisted by the family members of the deceased.
- The corpse is rubbed with oil before the bath. The bath should be done with items like milk, ghee, sandalwood and honey or holy ganga jal
- After the bath, the body is dressed in white (if the deceased was male or a widowed female), and in yellow or orange (in case the deceased was unmarried or a married female).
- The forehead of the deceased is marked with Chandan.